28 August 2012

A Granola looks at 40 - the Mini-Wardrobe


Over at Pattern Review, a month-long contest called “Mini-Wardrobe” is set to start in September.  The concept is a wardrobe of 5 co-ordinates including a key piece which ties everything together, with the goal of minimum 6 outfits from the 5 pieces.  A “contest companion” sew along was started for those of us who like the concept but don’t want to be tied down to contest rules and timelines. 
I’ve decided to participate in the Mini-Wardrobe Sew Along!  I need clothes that bridge the gap between my personal style and professional responsibilities.  Basically I want to “look cute everyday” while looking like a grownup professional.
To paraphrase Ms. Spears, I’m not quite a girl, not quite a conservative old lady.
After much self-indulgent analysis, I’ve determined my uniform is a pair of slim fitting trousers, a simple shirt and a cute jacket.  Once in a while I switch out the trousers for a favourite BurdaStyle skirt.  The simple shirt is usually a tee shirt from Mark’s Work Wearhouse or a Hudson Room button down shirt.  Sometimes I don’t wear the jacket.  My mornings are much more stress free since I figured out this formula.
With the formula in place, and drawing on my love of 90's fashion, my 5 pieces are:
 
Burda 7751 “Key Piece” Cute Jacket
I really wanted a lace motorcycle jacket a couple of years ago and didn’t buy the one I loved because I couldn’t come up with any idea what I would wear it with!
Grey lace (Dressew, Aug 2012) with pale grey silk organza lining (NYC, May 2012)
Burda 103-022011 Skirt
Skirt with large acute back darts in black+grey plaid stretch wool blend (Dressew, Aug 2012) with fuchsia stretch silk charmeuse lining (Metro, Nov 2007).
Vogue 1204 Slim Trousers
Jeans for non-stretch denim in a black+white tweed with primary colour flecks and silver lurex (I don’t own this fabric…yet)
Silk Tee Shirts
I own many silks in 1-3m yard cuts, and many silk top patterns, I’m just going to pick 2 and commit, or change my mind as we go.  I used to be indecisive but now I’m just not sure.  Current contenders are:
New Look 6009 Key Hole Top in mustard+grey on ivory “gneiss” stripe silk crepe (Fabric store near the hotel at PR-NYC, May 2012)
Simplicity 8523 Short Sleeve butterfly print on ivory silk twill (Fabric store near the hotel at PR-NYC, May 2012)
It may take me the rest of the year and 2013 to complete these items. I’ve had 2 dresses needing hems stagnating since the END OF MAY but this is probably due to the fact that I love to sew dresses but don’t really wear them.

3 comments:

  1. This mini-wardrobe will look super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an excellent plan. You must buy that fabric for the jeans--it looks and sounds gorgeous. I just cut out that skirt! I should go sew the darts now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up, its nice post on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a wonderful source of information.

    Look into my web site: laptops under 300

    ReplyDelete