23 September 2009

Cobra Double Wrap Belt




I really wanted a pink snakeskin double wrap belt, like I saw this summer in Harper's Bazaar magazine. I just can't imagine spending $$$ like that on a "novelty" belt when I have never actually worn a double wrap belt despite owning one at various times during the past 25 years.

I wondered, is this an "I can make that" scenario? So I bought a couple of small snakeskins, some leather glue, belting, a buckle and some rectangular rings. I didn't feel like driving out to Surrey to get real belting straps, so I used two $3 belts from the grocery store.



Here's what I used:

Here's what I did:


1. Decide on length of belt and add a few inches allowance per ring and the buckle.


2. Cut strips of snake the same width as the belting.


3. Apply contact cement to the belting and the snake strip, as per glue directions. Stick them together when waiting period is over. Trim snake as close to belting as possible.

***here is where you would apply edge dressing if required****


4. Grade the leather belting to make it easier to sew through.


5. Glue, then sew when dry, each ring in place. Try a ring before you do the buckle, just to get some experience because the ring is tricky.

6. Cut hole for buckle. Grade belting end, glue and sew buckle in.
7. Cut skinny strip for keeper, slide in loop left behind buckle. Glue ends. When dry, rotate the ends to the back side of the belt.



8.Punch holes on other end.
9. Wear with aplomb, outside of California only.


Total project cost $25

2 cobra skins $14

2 belts $6

Glue $4

Rings (used 2 of 6, $4 package) $1.33

20 September 2009

Hey, Hair Do!


Too funny. I've had two of the hair cuts above. I think I will skip the teensy top hat and stick with a pony tail.

Wadder

I cut and sewed MCCall's 6717 and the pattern is great. Unfortunately I made an error in judgement with the construction and now I have a wadder.

I cut the back on the fold and increased the neck hole a bit. Good idea.


Instead of back stitching on the shoulder pleats, I changed my stitch length to 1.0 at the ends.

Bad idea.

When I pulled top over my head, I seriously stressed the fine poly fabric at the ends of each pleat. Yuck. Plus this fabric is really clingy.


The colour is the b0mb, though. It looks good on that fat lady with the big rack who looks like me.

13 September 2009

Next Up - McCall 6717

I'm bored of t-shirts and button downs. I need some variety. The next sewing project is a vintage pattern from 1946.





I think I will use a bright olive (leaf green?) double georgette from the stash.


Challenges:

  1. Vintage instructions
  2. My pattern is for a size 30 bust. I may have been this size when I was 11 years old. There will be serious grading.
  3. Finding suitable buttons.

Sunday's Sin - Avaritia

I have sewing greed. I want this silk screen, from Marcy Tilton. It would be fabulous on a t-shirt or perhaps, if possible, on the back pocket of a pair of jeans.
http://www.marcytilton.com/item.php?pid=158&cid=927




Did I mention I was greedy? Because I want this one too:

http://www.marcytilton.com/item.php?pid=196&cid=926

The screens come in different sizes. The notes suggest the littlest wings look adorable on childrens clothes. Can you just imagine how cute that would be?

How cute would I be with wings on the back of my suit jacket or a button down shirt?

The but... But I rarely wear clothing with logos or embellishments of any kind. My inner princess digs this stuff but she's not awake at 5:30 when I'm throwing on whatever garments required to keep myself decent/appropriate.

12 September 2009

Completed Project!

On the hoof.


Click to enlarge. Sorry for the crooked photo. I take terrible photos.

Contrast Lining. The end justifies the means - the silk charmeuse is amazing to wear despite the swearing/praying fits during construction.



Bodice close up.

I love this dress. I'm in the market for some shoes with pink soles!








05 September 2009

Saturday Sewing - Burda 08-2009-124A


I've been working on Burda August 2009 pattern 124A for a couple of weeks now.

Fabrics:
- super 140 wool with mink and cashmere, black and white weave, from Overseas Fabrics in Abbotsford, B.C.
- silk charmeuse, fuschia, from Metro Textiles in New York, NY

Notions
- 5/8" strips of bias cut fusible interfacing (sub-in for Burda's recomended Vilene product)
- 1/4" strips and 2" strips of fusible interfacing cut on the grain to stabilize zipper and hem
- invisible zip
- thread

Alterations:
- pinched in about 0.5" above the bust
- shortened by about 1.5" at the waist

I'm short, apple/rectangle shaped and have forward shoulders.

The pieces go together really quickly and since this is the "Extra Pattern" for August, the extra instructions are proving very helpful. Tracing and a muslin took about 2 hours total, not sure why I am arse-dragging on the final product.